Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Catching Up




July 3, 2014
Well, I suppose a lot of you are wondering what’s going on, Lindy.  The last date of the Kickstarter was June 12th. I am amazed how quickly time has passed.  I need to explain why I have been so silent when it was clear I was so excited by the idea of creating this book; documenting the voices of original mothers.  After being so verbal about a giant learning curve and meeting many peoples and having contact with not only new people, but a new community, a new field of study, I seemed to have vanished.  I didn’t mean to, really.

small portion of my family; picture by Melody
 
       

          I have been diagnosed with extensive osteoarthritis and have been almost immobile for about a month.  Fortunately during this process part of my family arrived and camped out in my yard making me laugh and encouraging me to keep walking towards my dream, just make sure to take my cane and swim.  So I am back on the job now.

          I’m asking for help.  I am being upfront about needing help pulling the next stage of the project off.  Several of my friends have already stepped up to the plate, including a friend letting me use her restaurant for an upcoming Fundraiser, musicians donating their time and artists and others giving me items for the silent auction we will have.  Many people have already offered to volunteer.  I am very thrilled.  This fundraiser is the first part of my Plan B. for getting Strength To Speak written and published.  It is on Aug. 10th at Mesa Verde in Greenfield.

          I am intrigued by how difficult it is for my generation to ask for help, to be clear about what one needs and to accept it when it is offered, Yet, we also are very willing to step in and help when someone does make a request.  We are a generous and caring group.  If we subtract money from our picture of needs two interesting thoughts occur to me.  One is I become incredibly aware of how much we all have to offer that we don’t acknowledge as valuable.  And the second thought is how the dollar really is an overwhelming necessary evil.  This project illustrates both points.  It illustrates the contradiction, the complexity between these two points.  Unfortunately, I am unable to pull this off without money, but the doing of it, as broke as I am, makes me feel abundant with riches.  Here I am asking people to share their most vulnerable spots, to look at my most vulnerable spot, and what that has accomplished is the buildup of abundance in my life.  I feel as though I am extremely blessed.

          So I will continue to walk.  If you are local and want to help me put on my fundraiser event, please contact me.  If you are not local, the second event will be launching an on-line fundraiser for a smaller and more precise budget.  Stay tuned for that.  If you are an original mother and want to participate in my documentation, please contact me.  I continue to look for voices. 

          Again and always thank you for your support and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment