Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

July 20, 2014



I have been thinking a lot today about the blog I kept throughout my 365 Day project in 2010.  I've been thinking about the fact that I intentionally sat down and wrote something for an audience almost every night for that whole year.  It was a difficult year for my whole family and actually some of my friends went through some big stuff that year, too.  Three other friends lost a parent that year and one friend suffered from Lyme's, still suffers, but then was caught in the middle of a diagnosis.  Anyway, it was hard, but I wrote every night.  I took pictures every day but 6.  So why am I having a difficult time writing consistently for this one. 

My best guess is that I want this to be on topic and not just a running narrative of life.  I want to write about my mission writing this book, my journey learning about motherhood through this lens.  It is not always easy for me to articulate what it is I am thinking and learning about this subject.  The subject of adoption is red hot and sensitive. 

The other day Claudia Corrigan D'Arcy posted an excited status that a book she had written a chapter in was out.  Very cool!!!!  That post became flammable.  I have watched the eruption around language several times now.  I went immediately to one of my writing places and wrote a reaction asking people to read Claudia's chapter before they criticized.   Here is this person who works tirelessly to help people hurt by adoption and she was called all sorts of names by the very people she wishes to help, and no one had read the chapter, yet.

I came home from writing my post and I went to type it in, but first I reread the comments on Claudia's status.  They felt so huge and I felt like I needed to shut up and learn more before I jumped in the  brine.  So I did not post my writing.  I went silent.  Now sometimes silence is good and sometimes it is exactly what I want to fight.  I want all to have voice, to not fear joining in the conversation.  But I feel that is difficult to do in this particular venue.  Instead of voicing one's concerns, people jump and call each other names.  I am use to being in the thick of things and I know I am able to communicate, but it is scary in this case.  I don't want to be jumped on.

That said, I will continue to write what I learn. 

 
 
I also want to remind people of the Fundraiser.  I've received some fun auction items.  Tom Ashley of Dancing Bear Farms in Leyden donated a fig tree in it's second year.  Tai Kwon Do Center of Greenfield, donated a gift certificate, Carole Crompton donated a felted phone case, I have assorted beautiful jewelry and Donna Meller donated her skill and time and made the flyer.
 
 
I'll post a list of everything before the day.  I think everyone knows that Emma and Chris Worth are performing and so is Phil Rabinowitz.  I need more appetizer makers, so if you are in the mood for donating appetizers of some sort, please connect.  It should be a wonderful event and I am looking so forward to beginning the interview process for the book.  It is all really exciting.
 
Thanks everyone for your love and help.  It's wonderful. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment