Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Day # 295: Red Skies and a Poem

#295

Red sky at night: as we creep closer to November pink skies.


Things That Mean You To Me

Green plates
cubed cantaloupe
boiling water
in cold kitchens.
Kisses.

Poems that made me think
then shocked me
by showing me
I was feeling.

Please stay tonight.
Please lay down beside me
Your arm over me
Your breath above my head
No snore to speak of.

You’re smart.
Too scared to feel.
The one time you let yourself,
when the kids were little,
and needed you to,
you were bludgeoned
by past love.

Books and books
piled up on tables.
Cigarettes filled the ashtrays
and we fought over stupidity.
Music blaring disco;
the neighborhood complained.

We sat in our cold kitchen
inventing something to roast,
arguing whether
cold or warm water froze faster.

in your kitchen eating
cubed cantaloupe on a wintry day
you admitted to me you knew
early on that you were wrong
but couldn’t tell me so.

I bought you your
own green plates
to have in your own kitchen
when you learned to cook,
adding green peppers to everything.
I hate green peppers.
You had your own kitchen
to cook for young ladies
who you snared with
your music
your poetry
your stories of Charlie Simic and Louise Gluck
and, of course, your kisses.

Last night, so many
years later, you with
a new wife
me, happy with none,
tell me to pick out the
peppers and put on
the kettle for green tea
and listen to you read your poetry on
Maine Public Radio.

I think back 40 years ago
When dancing to disco in our living room
brought the cops.
Neither of us had enough
patience to wait for the water to boil.

Or for our love
to settle
in a space not filled
with pain and anger.
Yet my heart still
skips a beat
thinking of your kiss,
the feel of your
arm upon my ribs,
dead weight, dead asleep
whispering something.
If only I knew what. 
You taught me about
Poetry
Rock music
Dancing in the dark
The unwillingness to use
hot water in ice trays and
kisses that bandage  
leaking hearts.






2 comments:

  1. sad; wonderful , true, intimate and just like life
    thank you, Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Verena. I couldn't decide if I wanted to post it, so I just did. Oh well. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete