Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Day #100: A plug for interior decoration



#100
I believe one of the least noticed but most effective variables of our lives is the interior design of the buildings we spend many hours in daily.  Now I admit I am a slob and my disability makes house cleaning difficult for me, but my home is not sterile, it is full of color and warmth.

Today I went into the building I used to work in.  I haven't  been a part of that community on a daily basis for over two and a half years.  Today I wondered how I did it, how did I stand looking at chrome and rectangular surfaces of white, beige and grey.  It is clean and presents well, but it is void of character.

I came into Massachusetts educational buildings  from Marlboro College in Vermont. in the '70's. Classes in Marlboro were held in an old reconstructed barn.    In the 70's everything needed a coat of paint and we had folded metal chairs to sit on which were cold, hard and ugly.   But the walls belonged to the people, tiny alcove faculty offices that were over run with books and memorabilia.  There were hardwood floors and handmade curtains and I always felt embraced by the building as though it was holding me as I learned to think about my world.   Was that information in the optic array?

But today I understood that my present return to growth and learning is partially due to the fact that I am not trying to work inside a sterile building in florescent lights.  I am not staring out at the same monotone color combinations developed to not stimulate me, to blend, to be neutral.  Recognizing this made me want to leave the building and head for the hills. If it weren't for the friends  I still have there who are doing cool work, I'd not visit.  But, alas, they are there, and they are doing cool work.
Oh well, home to my messy, chaotic, colorful house.

I am grateful for
1) my friends  doing cool work
2) my colorful house
3) the luxury, if only temporary, to do this work I am doing.
4) that it is Thomas's birthday
5) navel oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment