Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day #160: A reflection

6/6/2015
It is a most perfect day.  I am once again sitting in my backyard listening to a multitude of birds including chickens in a far off neighbor's yard.  There are splashes of color all around poking through glorious greens, I know how abstract painting was born.  Looking at a clump of yellow lilies behind white cottage roses against a weathered fence is stunning.

It maybe 75 degrees and the breeze is light but frequent.  I couldn't imagine a more comforting and beautiful spot for this Sunday afternoon after 2 weeks of whirlwind activities.

I let go of my own baby daughter 43 years ago.  Since then I have loved several baby girls.  My niece Sarah was born four years later and she ws so much fun; so smart, and very quickly became my good pal.  When she was round three my mother and brother Geoff cleaned up my old childhood brass bed and gave it to Sarah.  I remember lying in it with her and teaching her that it was a boat that she could sail away in to wherever she wanted to go.

Since Sarah there has been Moriah, Grace, Maddie, Kora, many new grand nieces and friends' daughters, and by an amazing act, Emma was born into our lives.  For fourteen years I have been blessed to be close enough to watch her bloom, to watch this smart talented baby with an astonishing ability to process auditory information grow into a young woman who can draw and design and paint, act and sing and hug.  I can't imagine loving her anymore than I do.  It is short of a miracle.

The past two weeks I have seen her learn gospel, sing beautifully in a top-notch concert.  Make some new friends.  I have seen her and her friends' products from a five month journey of writing plays, directing, acting and producing them.  In this process she had to let go of her vision enough to engage others in acting in her play.  She had to hear her friends' visions and help sculpt their plays and they had to learn to communicate their ideas and feeling, to apologize and accept criticism.  The products were incredible.

I watched her befriend baby goats and help clean out stalls, plant herbs, build a plant box and make medicinal treatments.  Invite a butterfly onto her hand and have it land peacefully and hang out for a bit.

I have watched her face having to leave a school that has been a home to her for almost six years and to be a part of a graduation ceremony full of love, humor, reflection, wisdom and respect.

I am floored by her and although the past two weeks has been a whirlwind, I wouldn't give any of it up.  For me it was inspiring.  I don't think I could be any more proud of her if she was my child.

Instead, I just have to thank her parents for sharing her.
6/2010


No comments:

Post a Comment