Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day # 179: Celebrating A Life


 
#179
In 1978 I came as a researcher for Dr. Dalton Miller-Jones to the Gill Elementary School and was taught to embrace children for who they were.  I was taught to figure out what their strengths as learners were, to teach towards them.  I was taught that people learned best when they were interactive and when they cared about what they were learning.

Today I was at a celebration of life of one of that team I came to work with in 1978.  Many of the original people were there this evening, many of those children, now in their mid thirties were there and many grown students of mine who continue the tradition of respecting children were there.  

I am so full, and I am so over the top with emotion from the lens of a 25 year old, idealistic, fresh from a college where learning was nurtured, placed into a family, a superb elementary school where I learned to be a very good teacher.  The place where I learned to do it right, to learn the tenets that make me love GCS and also make me know as a 62 year old I will never go back into education or human services because the government has made it so you cannot teach to these tenets, nor can you serve children or people in the way they need to be served.  It is not a matter of lack of knowledge, it is a matter of being hog-tied and told no, I will never go back.
Granddaughters dancing in celebration of their grandmother's life.

R.I.P. Reenie Wood and thank you for beeing a steady and stable member of several teams I worked with throughout the years.  You were loved and appreciated.  



No comments:

Post a Comment