Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Day #42: Our Tribes

 

#42
Can we start a collection of small stories around one idea?  My friend, Trace, gave me a little book last year called, My Favorite Shoes; written and compiled by Robynne Raye (BlueQ.com, Pittsfield, Ma.) 2008.  It is a beautiful little book about 4"x4" and on each opened 2 page spread is 2 photos, 1 of the owner of the shoes, and 2 of the shoes and on the other page is a paragraph story about the shoes.  It makes me happy in it's simplicity and it tells a lot about people through its history/story telling.
 
So I am going to pick a simple topic and ask you all to write something short in response to the topic.  You are welcome to post a picture, too.
 
Todays picture is a 3 month old baby girl whose mother I have known since she was a toddler.  The baby's grandparents are people I have seen almost everyday for over 25 years because we are all active members of our community.  We are not friends in the traditional sense, but we belong to the same tribe, we all play roles in a small New England town and if they ever needed anything, any of them in all 3 generations, all they would have to do is ask me.  This baby is a new member of our community.  Today in the market 6 women her grandmother's age circled around that baby and her mom.  It felt like a blessing.
 
So my topic is community or more closely defined, my tribe.  What makes up your tribe? Tell a story about your tribe.
 
 


 


2 comments:

  1. So I've been thinking about a tribe, my tribe. I fear that my definition of "tribe" and THE definition of "tribe" are likely a contradiction. My tribe changes. It has the potential to be everyone and no one. It has a past, a present, and a future, yet it is timeless. Many years ago when I learn about the concept of limnality, I finally understood my place in the world. To be liminal is to be an edge dweller. It is to belong everywhere and nowhere all at once. This is a concept that resonated with me and one that I live. So, my tribe is my immediate family - always. My tribe includes the people who move in and out of my daily life with regularity and even those who did at one time, but no longer share the convenience of time and space with me. And, my tribe includes those who are fleeting. Who are present for a moment, or for moments. My tribe includes whomever I willingly and caringly give my attention in the present moment. Anna Berry

    ReplyDelete
  2. that comment was written by Anna Berry.

    ReplyDelete