Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Day #32: Music for the Soul

Michael Nix leading us in "Over The Rainbow"

 
 
Today was a special day for me, I went with friends to hear local musicians celebrate the music and life of Pete Seeger.  The concert was inside the First Congregational Church of Ashfield and because the sun was out in its glory the church was lit up in this soft yellow light.  It was wonderful to take pictures in.  I got a lot and I hope I can pass them on to the people who put on the event.   But this one is my favorite and the one I chose to be Day #33.

Have you ever run into somebody who you realize you should have known years ago?  There is a gentleman, a fellow poet, here in Franklin County whose life wove in and out of mine for years without either of us knowing each other.  It was fun to discover today the ways in which we dovetailed without ever meeting.   One interesting connection was that his mother was an orphan who in the 80's decided to look for her biological parents.  She found them and found out her mother was deceased and her father still alive.  She was born in Ct. to a Jewish father and a Polish Catholic mother in 1941.  Her mother relinquished her at birth knowing neither family would accept her.  So sad for everyone.  Apparently when she went to find her mother she found an Aunt who said, "I've been waiting for this call," and embraced her search.  She met her father before she herself died too young.   That was just the first story of the afternoon.  When I put out what I am doing, people reach back with amazing stories.  I hope I am able to record the complexity and the variety of them. 

One of the other fun things about the day was one of Emma's classmates, an 11 year old, was one of the musicians in the line up.  He was so at ease being up in front of all of these people with some famous folk singers providing back up with a natural grace.  Really fun.  I really enjoyed watching him.

And I loved just giving into singing all afternoon.  There were actually songs I did not know and had to learn.  Of course we sang Where Have All the Flowers Gone and We Shall Overcome and The Fox, but we also learned some later songs that Pete Seeger and Lorrie Wyatt wrote together.  One was about making garbage in this world and how it was killing all of us.  I thought it would make a perfect social action puppet song.  It was very amusing and fun to sing even in its' awful seriousness.

So one more picture and a good night to all. 

1 comment: