Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

Day #54:A New Idea


#54
Had dinner with a good friend tonight in Brattleboro.  I love friends, especially friends who think about a lot of the same things that I think about.  Dianna and I went around both our lives and touched all bases and then talked about projects.  She doesn't know it, but she inspired me to try my group small book idea again.  Now I understand that my call for definitions to tribe may have felt too large for some.  And I know that some people couldn't post their's.  Two people lost their paragraphs to the ozone.  Therefore, I went back to my blog settings and I messed around with the comments settings.  Try leaving a comment tonight. 

Then I decided  that a small book on "Your Favorite Sweater" would be fun.  You can post a picture and a paragraph on why it is your favorite sweater.  Then I can combine them and we will have a small book.  

Women in Clothes
It can be hard to talk about clothes in an intelligent way. Fashion critic Kennedy Fraser once wrote in The New Yorker that the act of donning a garment can seem almost furtive or trivial, something beneath debate or intellectual content. The editors of Women in Clothes would agree that it's a challenge. The book collects essays, conversations, pictures and testimonials from more than 600 women talking about how clothes shape or reflect them as human beings. review NPR 9/4/14

OK, so how did I come up with that?  Dianna was telling me about this new book she just read, Women In Clothes.  It sounds fascinating, over 600 women talking about clothes.  Not only do I want to get and read the book, but it leads me to think that most of us have favorite sweaters and that there are stories that go along with them.  And it is not only women who have favorite sweaters, but men, too.  So write on you all.  "Your favorite sweater and why."

I know you all think I'm a little batty for having this obsession on creating a collaborative small book, but I just think there is amazing potential in my reading audience. I do!

I did not get a lot of pictures today.  But I did get a lot of reading done and I have a whole day in front of me to write tomorrow.  YAY.




4 comments:

  1. Thinking about one old sweater now - ha! This is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite sweater - no, my most important sweater - is an old grey one of my Mom's. Every time I put it on, I feel her arms wrap around me in a big warm hug. We both know that Marje was not a big hugger, but still, it works. Dianna Noyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Molly died last summer. It was sudden and tragic and heartbreaking. Losing her was horrific. Watching my daughters' try to make sense of it and journey through their own grief made it that much harder. Molly was always sharing her clothes with the girls and they cherished many items she had given them. Nomi had an old brown cashmere sweater that was tattered and full of Molly's essence. Molly was a fragrant woman who carried with her the scent of earth and rain, hard work, love and warmth and many, many other things. This sweater carried all that an more. My girls took turns snuggling it, carrying it with them, and crying into it. Sometimes they clung to it together. This went on for months until one day the unthinkable happened. It no longer smelled like Molly - this realization brought with it a new round of mourning. We still have the sweater. It still provides comfort, but it is no longer as "full" as it used to be. Anna Berry

    ReplyDelete