Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Day #48: Shared Souls

#48
 
Questions for adoption book: what impact does class have on adoption? I had an interesting conversation with one of the women whose story is in my book.  I am curious to know how others feel about class as a factor in their story.
 
I've written a lot today, but none of it is blog appropriate.  I seem to be too full of over emotional personal thoughts. It seems to be the pattern.  I get anchored enough to do some interviewing and writing and then I go in to a highly personal space.  So instead of posting any of my rants of the day I am posting an old poem.  (My poetry deals with ghosts, a lot.)
 
Shared Souls
This morning when you
Slipped on top of me
I was only reminded of mistakes,
 times I’d hurt someone
or mishandled
something delicate.
This morning when your weightless presence
came to balance upon my mass
I did not perceive you
in our natural state of comfort.
I perceived you as a ghost.
I did not feel your kiss.
I did not hear your gentle breath.
I just knew you were there
offering me something
you thought consoling.
It was painful imagery.
I didn’t feel the presence
of the dogs either
 
I did not see them
curdled up together on the rug.
 
 
Nor was my Grandmother Whiton present
Nor her great- aunts
in their African clothes,
large bellies
soft skin.
 
You slipped in on top of me
Like you were my favorite glove
 wrapped around me.
Holding me in time
in 2 dimensions.
I smelled your breath
Why do ghosts have breath?
Why do they need to take in oxygen?
I took in a large deep breath
all the way down into
the pit of my belly,
deep down – feeling
blood fly through
even the smallest vein.
I feel every inch of my own body.
Blood slips below my knee caps,
down into the heal and arch
of my right foot.
 
 
Immediately, it makes me sleep again
 
Triggered
Satiated.
I must rise,
leave the spirit world
stand in the physical
reality.
You are gone.

 



1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS POST! (and you) (and the roof and icicles)

    ReplyDelete