Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Day # 311: Day # 7 in Nov.

# 311

Do falling leaves count as birds?
Russet winged oak leaves
dropping from the sky in a
slow smooth glide to the water.
They have no call
nor ability to scare off foe
just a gentle flow
into the smooth silken surface.

I researched birds that live
here all year round;
chickadee, downy and red tail
are the three left for me to see
sitting next to this small piece
of avian paradise.

Lindy, "How long would it take a kestrel
to fly over to that hill?"
I estimate how far away the hill is.
I estimate how fast I think a kestrel flies.
I respond, "2o minutes." I do not know
how close my estimate is, but I show I care.

If I were a kestrel
would I fly there in a straight line?
or would I take detours to discover
mice near the old farmer's home?
Would I get distracted
by the feel of soaring
or diving or rising?
Humans are attracted to the
ability to jump off the tower
glide 8 miles to the next highest point.

I'm distracted by a memory
of sitting on Daddy's lap on
the terrace chairs.  He is
showing me how the shortest
distance between two points is a straight line.
 how the fastest way to get there
is as the crow flies.  We take rulers
and pencils and white drawing paper
I make scenes he can fly
between in a straight line with his ruler.
We draw the crow.

But I am not sure the kestrel
would fly like the crow.
I am not sure the kestrel
cares about a straight line
nor the quickest way.
My estimates are very rough
and more accurate for a crow.
How do I adjust for being a kestrel?

As you can observe, I am
closer to a kestrel than a crow.
I still draw scenes
connect them one at a time
jump from one to the next
A chickadee just flew by
Two more to see today.
Life is webbed together
my mind a ruler and a pen.










No comments:

Post a Comment