Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Day #305: Poem Group


#305

So begins November.  Grace and I have made a commitment to write a poem a day for 10 days.  I will post my poems and sometimes Grace's.  Does anyone want to join us?   We would love it if you did.  This first poem is Grace's  (For those who don't know, Grace is my niece.  She is a writing teacher in the public schools in Georgia and a life-long poet.)



I was excited last Sunday
when I bought four and a half yards
of Japanese inspired silk.
It was a lively olive green
covered in shiny, gold dragonflies.

I bought it to make curtains
for my bedroom window
in my new place in town.
The window faces a parking lot,
and the street lights blare through
the blinds at night.
This artificial light tricks 
my rural brain
into thinking it's daylight 
and wakes me
disoriented 
throughout the night.

I sewed the first panel
of course without taking
any measurements
but figured I was being generous.
When I hung it in the window,
it fell short about nine inches,
reminiscent
of adolescent
pant legs.
In the strange lighting
the lively olive green
turned to a bland moss
where the shiny dragonflies 
became lost.

Now I'm left to wonder
what else I can make
with four and a half yards
of green Japanese silk.

I still believe
there is always a place
for all lost and lovely things 
to live.

c. Grace

 Jane Edwards says:: " I encourage those interested in preventing unnecessary adoptions to look at the their state laws and work to change them to allow mothers time to decide."

First Mother Forum


Red to Brown

mustard, cinnamon and amber
a layer of thick frost
turn the leaves the color
of your favorite brown
      suede boots,
naked branches

The line of storms weakened
to short spurts of rain.
Bright reds turn to burgundy
     and stillness
consumes the first day of early night.
Darkness at five.

I bake chicken and mushrooms
 stir ginger into my applesauce.
I try to balance the darkness as
     it begins
the new season of hibernation
sleep and revival. 



11/1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment