Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Day # 314: 2 poems of rememberance

# 314


The Last Floating Embers

Middle schoolers
crowd into
gymnasium bleachers,
blotches of
red, white, blue
mingle with every other color.

The band begins to play.
The chatter ceases,
as a few old men
with Army hats
full of patches and pins,
some pushing walkers,
some pulling oxygen,
step shaky feet
on the shiny hardwood floors.

The crowd erupts
in applause.
As they walk on,
tears spill over my eyes
and down my face.
I try to wipe them away,
hope that no one notices.

I cry not for patriotism.
I cry not for sacrifice.
I cry not for the fallen.

I cry for they remind me
of Grandpa Bill,
whose gentle spirit
remains crisp in my mind,
even after twelve years.

I cry for the purity of heart
and strength of character
unique to their generation.

I cry for stories
soon to flicker out
like the last floating embers
of a once strong flame.

When I was a child,
my father was saddened
when a World War I vet
passed away,
before he could interview him,
leaving his wife alone
in the back pew
on Sunday mornings.

“There aren’t many left,”
my dad told me.

I tell my students
the same today,
that the last of the
greatest generation
won’t be with us
much longer,
and to talk to as many
as they can,
for stories,
like lives,
are precious
.c GRACE





Do you remember eating peanut brittle bought
from the candy store on route 7?  Only
Grandpa went to the
candy store, the one that
made its own
across from Wolfpit Road.

Do you remember the hairbrushes
at Mecca's Pharmacy 
or the embarrassment of buying
birth control foam when
you knew your father might walk in?

Do you remember the sound
of the new dried leaves
fallen on the path to home
as you kicked your feet
forward on the trail, walking
home from the bus stop?

I'd taken a turn so I
didn't have to walk
with the others, embarrassed that
my breathing got heavy
I'd start to sweat and
I didn't want them to know
or tease me.

Do you remember the first time
you tasted a Mexican TV dinner
while we watched, what could 
we watch during dinner? We
would not have watched the news.
And remember the pile of Mystic mints
and the tall glass of milk?


No comments:

Post a Comment