Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Day # 327: Poetry on a cold night

# 327
Puzzling

My mom and three
of her grandsons
work on a puzzle
of construction trucks
I bought for a quarter
in a thrift store yesterday.
I watch and listen
to the dynamic.
"Here's a wheel piece, Zebby!"
"I think this one goes here, Gramma."
"Try turning it this way, Liam."
"Can I have that one, Niah?"
Fifty-eight year old synapses
fire off with three and two year old synapses.
Worn dirt roads
meet with brand new foot paths,
constructing concepts
of space and reasoning,
of communication
and cooperation,
all around my coffee table.
      c GRACE  11/22/15



 Baby with a Cold

I watched you sleep beside me
in the new morning light,
your tummy rising and falling
beneath red fire-truck pajamas
with each heavy breath.

I stared at your cherub face,
and wondered 
what you were dreaming of
and what your first words
of the day would be.
I wondered what kind of man
you might grow up to ber
and who else might watch you sleep
and think you are beautiful.

Then you awoke
and mumbled,
"Mommy, can I please have a cough drop?"
and I remembered 
that you are still 
my baby with a cold 
who needs his mommy
at least for today.
          c GRACE 11/23/15
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


Cold air, crisp and clean
wraps itself like strong arms
around my shoulders

Cold air triggers
memories of other nights
sweaters were worn

Cold air, go inside
find velvet warmth to subdue
embrace the winter's edge
11/23/2010


No comments:

Post a Comment