Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Day #72; Friday the 13th

#72
I spent 18 years living in this house.  I moved into it with Jay Davis in 1978.  I remember that first week; we'd moved from Marlboro, Vt. and I hadn't heard highway noises or sirens or other in town music since I'd left Wilton.  I felt like I had moved to some foreign land with a Grand Union across the street and a Wendy's next door.  The first night we slept there it was cold and we built a fire in the old coal stove and I put a mattress out in front of it and slept there.  A couple nights later Jay went off to Maine for a couple days and I was alone and scared stiff.  I realized I had to learn how to sleep with street lights around me by myself.  Of course soon we befriended the upstairs neighbors and I wasn't so alone for many years afterwards.  I bought that house in 1984.  It was the home of the great idea.  A lot of people were nurtured there and much care was given to us by the house, but little care was given to the house because I never had enough money to fix stuff.  My family fixed some stuff, my friends fixed some stuff, but basically by the time I sold it in 1996 it needed a lot of help.  I raised two dogs in that house, and an awful lot of nephews and nieces used it as a home away from home.  

The last few months I was alone in it.  No one lived upstairs.  That was spooky.  But now it is well taken care of and tonight it looked beautiful; I got to remember those beautiful skies that embraced it in the evenings.  (Actually the best thing about the house was its front row seats to any parade during the year.)

I have a cold.  I went and ate pizza anyway.  I just needed pizza tonight.  Actually I needed it last night, but had managed to avoid it.  Didn't succeed tonight.  I ate pizza with a cold.

I also feel like I fell in love with the sky tonight.  It was so dramatic.  No witch flew by, though, no concrete signs of Friday the 13th.


5 years ago today Annie and I helped my mother give away all of her orchestra dresses.  She also gave Annie all of her leftover materials.  We cleaned out her sewing trunk and her professional gowns.  I remember it was a gloomy rainy day, but we got home before any roads froze up.

2 comments:

  1. I love that house so much! It looks so pretty with its new red trim. So many of my happy childhood memories took place there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing ow much it meant to how many different people. I was remembering having you for Winter vacations. You were a great companion. Love you.

    So many memories in that house. I slept in every room in that downstairs apartment except the bathroom...crazy Saturday night goings on at Wendy's and Friday night to Sunday night D & D sessions! And the sweet sweet memory of sweet sweet Jean Whiton! Love you all around the universe!
    Annie Q.

    Grace Dawn I loved that house...it was magical. Although sleeping there was a little scary, especially with the African masks on the walls. I loved spending holidays there. It always had room for everyone. And yes, the best seat in the house for parades!

    ReplyDelete