Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day # 83: Community Sing

#83
This portrait is of my goddaughter, Kora.  She is fabulous.  She is a mom of a 6 month old at the moment.  This morning I met her at her local coop and found myself surrounded by young moms and their kids.   It was very energizing for me.   Here I am in the middle of this project where motherhood is so revered and such a loaded subject of both joy and pain.  It felt good to just be around babies and moms and new parenthood.   Kora's son is delightful and I loved having a morning to get to know him.  It was very helpful

The other thing I did today is go to a community sing in honor of Juanita Nelson who we all lost on March 9th.   I realize that I have written in this blog a few times now about how blessed I feel about living in this community.  Tonight I realized one of the major reasons that is true is because of the music scene.   Amandla is a chorus situated here in town that sings peace songs from all around the world.  They have sung with Mandela and the Seegers and Woody Guthrie and tons of others. Eveline MacDougall is the Director and she is really wonderful at leading these events.  I always feel like I am a member of a bigger community and a bigger world when I leave one and I look up into the sky and know I am part of a wonderful piece of the very large whole.  There is something about singing which draws the energy tight and focused and uplifting, even when it is sad.  I really am lucky.



Amandla 7/2013, photo by Lindy
So here is a shameless plug for them.  If you are looking for music to come to an event or to be in a line of concerts you are promoting, call Eveline, they really are good and worth it.   Here's their website.   You can listen a little, too.  The other thng is their cds are great, especially if you are homeschooling or trying to include music into your life.  Enjoy.



Amandla Chorus

4 year olds know how to enjoy chocolate cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment