Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day # 81: Extended Family Love


# 81

How old are you today, Arthur Satz?  I think you are 86.  Can that be true?  When I was 25 you turned 50, so today you are 86.  How are you?  I will try again to reach out to you because you hold a very special place in the family.  You hold an unnamed place, one that we all agree upon, but don't know how to talk about.  You came into the families' life when I was 2 years old and you were a graduate student at Princeton, sent to help Daddy edit  his opera, The Bottle Imp.  You never left.  At Daddy's memorial service you played the piano, at Mommy's you spoke the last story, the conclusive tale.  You spoke of being in love with a family, a chaotic, crazy creative gang and how important we became to you.

Yet five years have gone by since Mom left us and I have spoken to you only twice.  I have mailed you some cards and a couple of siblings have reached out to you, but we've enjoyed no Thanksgiving dinner together nor have we celebrated a birthday or anniversary.

Why?  How can people this day and age who share such deep love and poignant experiences lose touch?  I know that sharing feelings has never been your favorite thing to do and I know that I have made you cry several times by being sentimental.


But also I know that the reason I was able to bring tears to your eyes was that you are a deep feeling man.
Happy Birthday, Art!

I hope we see each other this year.  You are remarkably important to me and I will always love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment