Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Day # 85: Long Day

#85
What a day!   Didn't have a moment to breathe and I still have Emma with me who is making crazy voices to entertain either her or me.  So tonight you get a poem by, Grace.  Enjoy.


Love Poem for my Skeleton
By Grace VanSteenburg

You make your presence
clearer to me all the time.
You have never been shy.
Every part of you pokes and pries
against my flesh.

knobby knees,
long, stick-like fingers,
spine crooked as a tree branch,
feet too long and thin
to fit correctly into shoes
leaving blisters on my heels,
tailbone that aches
as a reminder of my foolishness,
the crooked teeth I try to hide,
jagged pelvis
creates a cave
so deep I can push my hand inside.

As a child
I despised you,
blamed you for
my clumsiness.
You forced me
to stand in the back row
of class pictures with all the boys
and tower over all the lovely girls
with their smooth curves.

As a mother
my nursing child stripped you
of your insulation
to feed his growing body,
leaving you more exposed.
I scarcely recognize my face
in photographs anymore.
My chin too sharp
against a crane’s neck.

But it is you who holds me,
steadies me.
It is you who carries me.

Those knobby knees
allowed me to
fly
passed maples and birches.

Your long, stick fingers
grasp this pen in its strange grip.

Your crooked spine
helps me everyday
to stand tall
for 82 children to look up to.

Your long, thin feet
take hold of slick rocks
as I wade into the river depths.

Even your aching tailbone
reminds me of that stupid kid
I never want to lose.

Your gap teeth
make me smile unique
amongst the masses
of picket fences.

Your jagged pelvis
miraculously opened its gates
to allow another being
to pass through me
and enter into this world.

It is you who holds me,
steadies me.
It is you who carries me.
It is you who I love.



No comments:

Post a Comment