Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day # 60: Remembering February

Day #60

Ok, we're back in Snowville, oh well, the sun was nice while it lasted.  This week looks like overcast days ahead.  Emma and I got a short ride in.  I was looking for water, to see if the rivers were all iced over or if there was some movement.  There was no movement on the Green River, lots of ice and snow and no movement. 

This was Day #60 in 2010.  I actually think I took it in a parking lot at GCC and it was raining over snow. This debris was collecting by the drain.  Yes, it was a grey day, too, but a little warmer.

I'm trying to remember February 1968.  Apparently Nixon announced his candidacy, Johnson said he would not run for another 4 years.  Sargent Peppers won the Grammy, it was a leap year and the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders reported against racism and demanded aid given to blacks.  (MLK was killed on April 4th) None of this truly shakes my memory, although I do remember all of those things.  I was 14 and in the 9th grade.  At this point I was the oldest child home; my elder siblings were all off doing their thing.  Why am I looking?  A friend posted some old pictures on fb of me at this age and it made me want to look at the year.  Strange thing, facebook, it can be wonderful and fun, or a real jolt.  It's one thing to go back 5 years ago, it is quite another to go back almost 50 years ago.   

Now I don't want to be pushy, but those sweater stories?  Please?!

For my 14th b'day my friend Micky gave me a kitten.  He was a runt and a long haired orange cat with a really big tail.  His name was Jack Randolph, the toughest cat in town, or Tuffy.  It's a good name for a runt.   Story goes several years later when my brother's girlfriend, Molly, now his wife of 43 years, came to Ct. to meet his family she walked into our dining room and was frightened by a small lion sitting there.  That shows you how small Tuffy stayed.  He was a giant cat and he was my very good friend. 

60 days, I'm impressed.  This week I will interview several women and finish the first draft of two stories.  It's good for me to state my intentions on Sunday evening.    


1 comment:

  1. "There's a flavor, an identity, an ownership in a way of the time that one has been here, to looking back 50 years. It's shocking, yes, but it is also the delivering of the mantle of wisdom borne of noticing the patterns that are only revealed through a lot of time. 50 years of time. to you, Lindy!" Lori Kirstein

    ReplyDelete