Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Day #237: Chasing Rainbows

237
I wrote a poem tonight, but I don't like it enough to post it.  But it was about chasing a rainbow.  I feel like the act of writing this book is kind of chasing a rainbow.  So far I have been ok, but I've still got a little more to go to complete the project.  Is it chasing rainbows?  

Tonight I went to a meeting at an alternative school in the community.  I sat down next to a woman and started talking about why we were there and that led into a little conversation about what we were doing now.  I have stopped being uptight about answering that question and I am no longer at all worried about naming myself as an original mother.  Her life partner was an original mother, too, and they have an adopted son.  She was very interested and positive.  It almost felt like a normal conversation.



 a

I still feel as though I'm chasing rainbows.  I chased one today and I caught it.


The movie we saw tonight was called Classed Dismissed by Jeremy Stuart.  My experience of it was quite different than others sitting in that room as parents of children they were about to support going into this new school.  Mine was of an educator who has held those beliefs since 1970 when she first read John Holt; as an educator who has taught theory of education and developed a really nice college course on participatory research.  And of a godmother who knows her goddaughter is exceptional and feels a little incapable of helping her navigate this teen age stuff.  Anyway, if you are at all interested in home schooling or alternative education, give it a viewing.  It is worth watching.  It's a little too long for 14 year olds who aren't quite sure why they should be interested, but it does try to address some interesting issues that impact a parents decision.  


No comments:

Post a Comment