Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day #15: Fire and Ice


I woke up early in the morning in a panic.  I couldn't understand why.  I wasn't having a bad dream, at least I didn't think so, but I had to talk myself out of that uh oh feeling.  Eventually I went back to sleep.  The following day in the paper was an article about a fire in the motel just across the highway from me.  I guess I must have heard all of the fire trucks and an old panic was stimulated.  When I was two, our house was set on fire and apparently I was kept in my stroller and at a distance while the commotion of fire trucks and police and neighbors took over our yard.  For years I didn't like going to the front part of the yard by myself.  I never understood why.  And whenever I am near fire I assume the possibility of disaster.   You'd think at a certain age when you were aware of cause and effect the panics would not appear, but I guess in one's sleep you have no control.

I'm not sure why this story is appropriate tonight.  I have had no panicky feelings, nor reasons for alarm.  My furnace was cleaned today and the oil man told me it was running  efficiently for an old oil furnace.  That always calms my fire worries.   In these very cold temperatures the furnace just cranks and cranks and cranks.  I just see combustion in my head. But that is just more proof of an overactive imagination. 

Language is a pretty potent panic button for so many people.  On-line groups with long rows of comments that shoot off of one another cause people to react at the oddest times because they don't go back and read all of the postings.  Certain language triggers certain groups and keeping track of what group you are in and which language you are supposed to use is too difficult, especially, if what you are looking for is emotional support.  So I want to start a group on line and use the same process I would use in a not on line group.  I want a rules we'll live by agreement and define clearly what I believe is respectful responding to peoples' words.  Is it possible or is it just the on-line structure that produces misunderstandings? 

Emma's class is doing a self discovery project this term and they are doing a photo exploration activity over the long weekend.  I've agreed to let her use my camera, but what will I use?  I think her video camera takes stills like a point and shoot.  I'm going to switch with her and see if using a point and shoot for a couple days changes my picture taking at all.

I am doing my first interview this weekend.  I'm very excited.  One of the questions I need to ask is if you were going to advise someone about placing a baby in adoption, what would you advise. I'll let you know if this question brings interesting responses.

I took a few pictures of children today.  I took a few of winter, but nothing too exciting, but I do love the color and texture in this one.       

No comments:

Post a Comment