Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Day #16: MLK Day Celebrated


 
 
I got up and went to Greenfield Center School's celebration of Martin Luther King Day.  It is so hopeful to be in a place where kindergarteners are expressing their understanding of Rosa Park's actions.  Each classroom had done a particular project involving social action and equal rights.  At this event the kids showed their classroom's project of and explained something about it. The pre-K explained how they outlined a picture book about Gandhi and colored it in.  This 3 or 4 year old boy told us Gandhi had to give his seat up on a train in S. Africa because his skin was not white.  This is the only way we are going to make equal rights a reality; we must integrate it into school as a given and not as something we attend to once a year. If you are interested in curriculum material for integrated activities, check out the work coming out of Howard Zinn Center or Highlander in Tennessee.  I have adapted their work to use with many different age groups.   
 
I photographed the event.  I have some beautiful pictures of these kids, but I do not have permission slips from parents, so I won't post any.  These two girls are daughters of women I know who give me permission, so this will be my 16th picture of the year.  I love their smiles; these two smile a lot.
 
Tomorrow I will update you on my first interview.  I'm very excited about it.  I also have decided next week I am going to try to write a poem every day for a week.  We'll see how that goes. 
 
I have been trying to pass posts about peoples' searches, both adoptees and original Moms.  Today, one of them put out that she found her mother and the search worked.  Congratulations.  If you are interested in searching, e mail me and I will give you the sites for Adoption Search.  There are also several adoption angels out there.  I was thinking about doing it myself.  I may look into it at the conference in March. 


If you have a favorite curricula material, please post it in the comments.  If you have questions on searches, please ask away.  I still believe the more interaction the better.  Thanks for tuning in.  Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment